Neogothic architecture from 1879
Savonlinna Cathedral is the main church of Savonlinna’s Evangelical-Lutheran parish. The church has seats for 800 people.
A mass is held in the Cathedral every Sunday at 10.
Savonlinna Cathedral is open for visitors daily from June 6th to August 12th between 10 am - 6 pm.
The name of the church originates from the cathedra, the seat of a bishop, located in Savonlinna from 1897 to 1924.The church was designed by architect A.H. Dahlström in 1858, and it was consecrated on 2 February 1879. The church was damaged during an air raid in 1940. The reconstruction was designed by architect B. Lilljeqvist. The altar choir ceiling fresco, paintings on the gallery banisters, and the chandeliers were created by artist Antti Salmenlinna. The altarpiece “Jesus in Gethsemane” is a triptych painted by artist Paavo Leinonen. The church textiles, designed by artist Helena Karvonen, are from 1979.
Among the most impressive items in the church is the baroque organ with 45 stops built by Urkurakentamo Martti Porthan Oy in 1991.